Alicia Gala, Patricia Ordóñez, Cristina Larrea, Gema Fernández 1ºBACH.
“THE MARTIAN FILES: IS/WAS THERE LIFE ON MARS?”
1. Were the conditions in primitive Mars suitable for life?
- Yes, because in the origins of Mars there was a dense, wet and warm atmosphere and water in liquid state. In the past, there were some rivers and streams. Even oceans that covered the planet.
2. Is life possible in present day Mars?
- Nowadays, the planet is dry and barren, with most of its water locked up in the polar ice caps. Mars has a thin atmosphere which allows radiation from the sun to irradiate the surface of the planet, adding to the environment’s challenges.
3. What is the story of the meteorite ALH84001? Did it contain any proof of fossil life on Mars? How can we know?
- It is a dark pink diogenite which weights 1,90 kg, it was discovered on the 27 of December of 1984. Its name comes from the area where it was discovered, Allan Hills. It also contains the date it was find. it was formed approximately 4,500 million years ago. It was made of water full of carbon dioxide. A meteorite collided Mars 16 million years ago, reaching the Earth about 3 million years later.
- It was a real evidence of fossils, fossilized bacteria and chemical traces but no evidence of actual living organisms more complicated than that. There weren’t any martian organism.
- Mckay had been investigating about if there was martian remains but he only found these fossils (bacteria and chemical traces).
4. Which sources of information have you used for your project?